Meetings: Every Tuesday at 12pm
Holiday Inn Downtown
Binghamton, NY 13901
The first Rotary Club was organized in Chicago, IL, on February 23, 1905, by a young lawyer named Paul P. Harris. Paul invited a coal dealer, a merchant tailor, and a mining engineer to discuss his idea that businessmen should get together periodically to enjoy each other’s company and to enlarge their circle of business and professional acquaintance. Out of their discussion came the formation of a Club which would meet weekly to acquaint members with one another’s vocations and to promote business. The Club would meet in rotation at the offices of the members – hence the name Rotary.
Rotary Club of Binghamton
In 1912, Pliny W. Smith, a former Rochester dentist turned insurance man attended an insurance meeting in Buffalo where he learned of the emerging service club movement. Upon returning to Binghamton, he discussed what he had learned with attorney Robert S. Wickham, with whom he shared office space. Pliny and Bob formed our own Rotary Club on March 7, 1912, with 6 members. The Rotary Club of Binghamton was the sixty-fourth club chartered by Rotary International.
Immediate Past President
President Elect Nominee
Paul Harris Fellow
“Whatever Rotary may mean to us, to the world it will be known by the results it achieves.”
– Paul P. Harris
Our 1.2 million-member organization started with the vision of one man—Paul P. Harris. The Chicago attorney formed one of the world’s first service organizations, the Rotary Club of Chicago, on 23 February 1905 as a place where professionals with diverse backgrounds could exchange ideas and form meaningful, lifelong friendships. Rotary’s name came from the group’s early practice of rotating meetings among the offices of each member.